Monday, March 21, 2011

Super Moon



An auroral and unusually big SUPERMOON was seen lighting up the sky on 19.03.11, offering a visual treat to the enthusiastic sky-gazers. The moon was around 14% bigger and 30% brighter than the regular full moons. Yet to the casual observer, it may be hard to tell the difference.


On 19.03.11 the moon came closest to the Earth and lights up sky. The phenomenon occurred in 1955, 1974, 1992 and 2005. The moon was only 3,56,577 km away from the Earth. The average distance between the Earth and the moon is about 3,82,900 km.


The phenomenon, called lunar perigee or Supermoon, happens when the moon reaches its absolute closest point to Earth and this effect is most noticeable when it occurs at the same time as a full moon,

It was a grand occasion for a me to capture the moon. I tried fast (1/400 sec) as well as very slow (30 sec) exposures.


I was provided complete support by my son (5½ years old) who helped me in arranging the gears and stayed with me in the dark roof top till I complete the session. Hats off to his patience...!!!

A+

No comments:

Post a Comment